Happy Hump Day! We’re halfway through the week and just days away from the weekend!
It’s gearing up to be a big weekend here in the Lilac City, due, in no small part, to Hoopfest. Are you playing this year? If so, for fun or to win (or both)? Either way, good luck! If you’re not planning on joining the masses downtown, fear not, for there are so many other great events going on this weekend! The forecast calls for beautiful weather, so this should be an excellent weekend to get out and see the sights! Check out just a few events that are going on around the area this weekend:
- Selkirk Abbey Brewing Company’s First Anniversary Party– Go wish a happy birthday to Post Falls’ Belgian-themed gem! Selkirk Abbey specializes in Belgian-style ales, ranging from saisons to quads to IPAs and beyond. The party takes place at the brewery (6180 E Seltice Way, Post Falls, ID) and will feature music, food, and two special release beers. I had the pleasure of sampling one of these beers, St. Joseph, during my last visit to the brewery (read about it here), and, let me tell you, it’s amazing and will probably make all of your dreams come true. Truly, it’s magical. Bonus: St. Joseph in bottles is currently available for pre-sale and will also be available for sale at the party. I cannot emphasize enough how strongly I encourage you to try it.
- Bikes, Brews & BBQs– The Kootenai County Fairgrounds in Coeur d’Alene, ID will be taken over by Bikes, Brews & BBQs this Saturday. The event is exactly what it the name implies: there will be motocross and BMX races, a beer garden featuring a number of local and regional breweries (they’ll have wine available, too), and a barbecue competition open to both professional and amateur grill-masters. Entrance to the festival itself is free, tickets for the brewfest are $8, and there’s a brewfest/motocross combo ticket available for $18. A full day of fun and entertainment await you just over the state line!
- Spokane on the Rocks– Got an hour or two to kill between games at Hoopfest? From 10am-8pm on Saturday, the Spokane Convention Center will be hosting Spokane on the Rocks, a festival featuring over 20 Northwest distilleries and breweries and their best products. The event will also feature live music and air conditioning. Tickets are $10 (available at the door and online) and include three samples of beer or spirits (or two non-alcoholic beverages). Happy day drinking!
- Strawberry Celebration– As indicated by the offerings at the farmers markets, fresh fruit season is upon us. Might I add, it couldn’t come soon enough! Both this weekend (June 29-30) and next weekend (July 6-7), Green Bluff is throwing its annual Strawberry Celebration, where citizens from across the land are invited to head up north and pick to their hearts’ content. Before you head up there, be sure to check Green Bluff’s website to determine which farms you want to visit, and don’t forget to stop at the Harvest House on your way out for an ice cream cone!
- Drift & Drags– Do you wanna go fast? Would you settle for watching others go fast? On Friday and Saturday (June 28-29), head on out to the Spokane County Raceway to watch some real-life Fast and Furious action and watch drivers test their skills on the drift course or test their speed on the drag strip. The gates open at 6pm on Friday and at 2pm on Satuday, and spectator tickets are $12.
- Old Time Farm Days– Did you know that Spokane has a farm museum? Yeah, it’s totally a thing! From 9am-3pm on Saturday, June 29, the North Spokane Farm Museum (6223 W. Ridgeway Rd., Deer Park, WA) will feature events such as tractor pulls, barrel races, and live demonstrations at the annual Old Time Farm Days celebration. Bust out your overalls, and get ready to get your farm on!
So many great events to choose from, and only a few days in which to prepare for them! Enjoy the rest of your week, and have a great weekend!